While he has repeatedly warned about terrorist threats and the need to end existing insurgencies, President Duterte said Saturday he will not hesitate to declare martial law, if necessary, but for another reason: to "protect" the nation should the problem of illegal drugs get out of hand.


"You know, I have to protect the Filipino people. It’s my duty. And I’d tell you now, if I have to declare martial law, I will declare it – not about invasion, insurrection; not about danger. I will declare martial law to preserve my nation – period," Duterte said in a speech at the 49th annual installation of the Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

And, he added, if he felt it his duty to declare martial law, he will not let the checks and balances built into the 1987 Constitution to stymie him, because his duty as President "transcends everything else."

He also blamed the crafters of the 1987 "Cory Constitution" for tying the hands of the Executive in what he deemed an over-reaction to the country's experience when Ferdinand Marcos declared martial law.
 
Top